How To Be Low Waste?
By Gabriela Zimbres
America is the land of opportunity, but is also the land of waste. An average American, produce 4.4. pounds of trash every single day, significantly more than the global average of 2.6 pounds.
As everyone knows, excess waste generates innumerous implications. So how can we prevent, and reduce our waste production? Here are 5 ideas on how you can chance your waste production game and become a more eco-friendly person!
1. There are alternatives to plastic bags! Reusable bags are not expensive at all and can prevent a lot of unnecessary waste.
2. Do you really need 5 white tank tops? The clothing industry utilizes child labor, dangerous working conditions, and produce tons of waste. Around 25 billion pounds of clothing are wasted in the US alone every year, so go back to basic!
3. Even thought Starbucks cups are not made of plastic, throwing one in the trash every single day is a lot of waste, so why not start using reusable containers?
4. Straws. They look harmless, right? Not really... Did you know around 8 to 11 million tons of plastic enters the oceans every year, and US only consume 500 million straws each day? So consider know, buying an eco-friendly straw!
5. Compost! Composting is an inexpensive, natural process that transforms your kitchen and garden waste into a valuable and nutrient rich food for your garden!